Degenerative hearing loss is a type of hearing loss that worsens over time. Degenerative hearing loss is a common type of hearing loss. It is estimated that about 15% of adults over the age of 65 have some degree of degenerative hearing loss.
What causes hearing degeneration?
It is caused by damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, which are responsible for converting sound waves into electrical signals that the brain can interpret.
There is no way to prevent degenerative hearing loss. However, there are some things that people can do to reduce their risk of developing hearing loss, such as avoiding loud noise exposure and getting regular hearing tests.
What are the four types of hearing loss?
There are four main types of hearing loss:
- Conductive hearing loss occurs when there is a problem with the outer or middle ear, which blocks sound from reaching the inner ear.
- Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when there is damage to the inner ear or the auditory nerve, which prevents sound from being properly transmitted to the brain.
- Mixed hearing loss is a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss.
- Central hearing loss occurs when there is damage to the auditory cortex in the brain, which is responsible for interpreting sound signals.
What are four causes of hearing loss?
The four main causes of hearing loss are:
- Age. Hearing loss is more common in older adults.
- Noise exposure. Exposure to loud noise can damage the hair cells in the inner ear and lead to hearing loss.
- Genetics. Some people are more likely to develop hearing loss due to their genes.
- Certain medical conditions. Some medical conditions, such as Meniere’s disease and otosclerosis, can cause hearing loss.
What is the best treatment for hearing loss?
There is no cure for hearing loss, but there are a number of treatments that can help to improve hearing. These treatments include:
- Hearing aids. Hearing aids amplify sound and make it easier for people with hearing loss to hear.
- Cochlear implants. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that can help people with severe hearing loss to hear.
- Speech therapy. Speech therapy can help people with hearing loss to learn how to communicate more effectively.
If you are concerned that you may have hearing loss, it is important to see an audiologist for a hearing evaluation.